HOW TO MASSAGE DURING A GLOBAL PANDEMIC
Wading through all of the conflicting information regarding covid immunity is not an easy task. Without solid leadership or guidelines, each business has been left making big decisions as to how to protect their clients. My goal is to be as transparent as possible, so that my clients can feel good about their informed decision to be in my care. I do not think it is appropriate to start relaxing any safety measures just yet – this will all probably be in effect for the remainder of 2021 – so I am STILL conducting business the same way I was back in June of 2020 when I reopened.
First, know that I am a small business and sole practitioner, which means that on any given day there will only be a maximum of 4 clients, one at a time, plus me in my massage space…. with lots of time in between. This is a lot less than other stores or indoor spaces. I have made the choice to spend all of my “exposure budget” on clients, so I see 12-14 clients per week and do not socialize outside of that…no restaurants, no travel, no hanging out with anyone. My home is my sanctuary and I am very content spending my non-massage time with my partner and two kitties! I support others in “getting back to normal” or doing whatever they want, this is just how *I* am choosing to handle covid life for now. In addition, I get a PCR test once a week.
- FILTRATION: Scrubbing the air is the most important detail in covid sanitation, from what I have read. I have added a HEPA 5-stage air filter that is the gold standard for removing viruses from the air. It removes 99.9% of virus particles in one hour, in spaces much larger than mine. Read more about it here: https://www.rabbitair.com/pages/biogs-hepa-filtration
- MASKS: I wear an N-95 mask with a KN-95 on top to set up your room and throughout your time with me.
- DISINFECTING: I will change every sheet, towel, fleece soft thing and blanket in between clients. Every surface and all doorknobs and light switches will be sprayed with an EPA approved disinfectant and left for 10 minutes before wiping.
- TOOLS: Stones and cupping tools are disinfected and placed in UV cabinet after each use. Warm neck pillows have removable covers – the covers are washed and the neck pillow is placed in the UV cabinet after each use (I have 12, so each client gets a new pillow and I disinfect them all at the end of the day).
I AGREE TO:
- Change my entire outfit in between clients.
- Wash my hands up to and including elbows in between clients.
- Practice strict social distancing – see my comments above.
- Cancel all appointments if I come into contact with someone with covid or feel any signs of illness.
YOU AGREE TO:
- Wear a mask – if you find you can’t breathe with the mask on in the face-down position, I can make a hammock-style fitting for the face cradle with a pillowcase for you.
- Wait 48 hours before scheduling if you have traveled anywhere by airplane, boat or bus.
- Wait 14 days before scheduling if you have been in contact with anyone who has tested positive for covid.
- Cancel your appointment if you feel any symptoms of any type of illness, not just covid.